Asus had announced its Tango and Google’s Daydream compatible smartphone back at the 2017 CES, and now, the company has today introduced its successor – the Asus ZenFone Ares, more than one year after the Zenfone AR was first introduced. The Asus ZenFone Ares is virtually a rebadged Zenfone AR with similar in both design and specs to the Zenfone AR, with emphasis on AR (Augmented Reality) and VR (Virtual Reality), but now more affordable.
Much like the Zenfone AR, the Zenfone Ares flaunts a 5.7-inch 1440 x 2560 super AMOLED display with Tru2life technology for improved outdoor visibility and oil-repellent coating and is even driven by the now dated Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 821 processor coupled with 8GB of RAM and 128GB of expandable storage.
The device retains the Zenfone AR 23MP PixelMaster 3.0 high-resolution lens with motion tracking and depth sensing which can capture third-dimensional information providing AR and VR related features, while a familiar 8 MP camera with F2.0 aperture for selfies and video calling sit above the display. It, unfortunately, boots Android Nougat out of the box with a non-removable 3300 mAh battery with support for Quick charge 3.0 technology.
Asus Zenfone Ares Specs
- 5.7-inch (2560 × 1440 pixels) Quad HD Super AMOLED display, NTSC over 100%, Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection
- 2.3GHz Quad-Core Snapdragon 821 processor with Adreno 530 GPU
- 8GB LPDDR4 RAM, 128GB (UFS 2.0) internal storage, expandable memory with microSD
- Android 7.0 (Nougat)
- Hybrid dual SIM (micro+nano/microSD)
- 23MP rear camera with dual-tone LED Flash, Sony IMX318 sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 6P Largan lens, 4-axis OIS, 3-axis EIS, Laser AF
- 8MP front-facing camera, f/2.0 aperture, 85-degree wide-viewing angle
- Fingerprint sensor
- Built-in Mono 5 magnet speaker, ASUS SonicMaster 3.0, DTS Headphone: X for virtual 7.1 surround sound Hi-Res Audio 192kHz/24-bit standard, NXP Smart AMP technology
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac5 GHz 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, USB Type-C
- 3300mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
The ZenFone Ares from goes on sale in Taiwan from June 16 with a price tag of TWD 9,999 ($333).