In this article we will take you through the simple steps to installing your Windows Mixed Reality Headset. This guide works with all WMR headsets from the cheapest to the most expensive.
Products used in this guide
- Amazon: HP Windows Mixed Reality bundle ($180)
- Amazon: HP Pavillion 580 ($730)
Update your Windows 10 PC
To ensure everything is working properly, update your Windows 10 PC to the Fall Creators Update. If you know for sure your PC is up to date, you can skip these steps.
1. Right-click the Start button.
2. Click Settings.
3. Click Update & Security.
4. Click Windows Update.
5. Click Check for updates.
Windows will now check if there are any updates available. If so, they will download and install automatically, and a restart will likely be required to complete the process.
Setting up your Windows Mixed Reality
1. Unpack your Windows Mixed Reality from the box and make sure all the cable ties are removed and the cables are free from tangles.
2. Check your PC has a USB 3.0 and a HDMI out port free to install your WMR into. The USB 3.0 port is the one with the blue tongue on the inside as shown, circled red in the picture below.
3. Insert the HDMI cable on the WMR headset into the HDMI port in your PC's graphics card.
4. Insert the USB 3.0 cable on the WMR headset into your PC's USB 3.0 Port from step 2.
5. You will see the Windows Mixed Reality app launch automatically. This will happen everytime you pick up the headset from now on.
6. Take the WMR controllers from the package and open the rear case. From here you should put the AA batteries in as instructed and close the back again.
7. Press and hold the Windows button in the center of your WMR controllers. They may require an update so let that happen. Your PC will give you a pop up if they do.
8. Put the Windows Mixed Reality headset onto your head and follow the on-screen instructions or our handy guide to setup your play space.
As you can see Microsoft went out of its way to make sure your setup of the Windows Mixed Reality headset was as easy as possible. With these few simple steps you will be ready to play WMR games and experience the awesomeness that is the Virtual world in no time at all.